Potty training is often THE WORST! So far I’ve gotten pretty lucky in the potty training department (don’t hate me, I’m sure my luck will run out soon), but I know TONS of parents who really, really dread it. Below are some of my favorite potty training hacks to help you get through it!
1. Double sheet the bed. I got a bunch of cheap sheets from Walmart for $5. Then I put one sheet on, put a puppy pad on top of the sheet, then another sheet over that and a puppy pad on the top. Sometimes I would add a towel just for good measure. That way if the child has an accident in the middle of the night, you can just throw the pad away, and stick the top sheet in the washer, and you still have one fresh pad and sheet underneath so you don’t have to completely remake a bed in the middle of the night.
2. For car rides, take a child’s potty chair in the car with you. Line the potty with an open diaper so that you can throw the contents away and not have it sitting in the potty sloshing around while you drive.
3. Get the “Once Upon on Potty” book! I would let my child look at/read the potty book while she sat on the potty to visually connect the concept. You can order it here.
4. Rewards! Use a sticker chart, potty pops, candy, prizes – anything that you think will motivate your child.
5. Use cheerios to help your boy aim. Simply throw a cheerio into the potty, and tell him to aim for it!
6. Set a timer for every 30-45 minutes to help them (and you) remember to try to use the potty often.
7. Restrict water intake near bedtime. Bedtime around here is 7:30pm so by 6:00pm we cut water intake off.
8. If the child has an accident, have them help with clean up. UNLESS the child thinks it’s fun to clean; then that defeats the purpose, and I wouldn’t let them help at all.
9. Buy fun underwear that they will want to keep dry so they can keep them on!
The ladies of BFBN are all posting on potty training today. Check them out!