Up until now, any furniture that we’ve owned has been purchased from ikea or found on craigslist. Thus, we have had no need for coasters. I haven’t used a coaster in years. But now that we have a house, we’ve acquired some furniture that isn’t made of particle board or plastic. Consequently, it’s time to get some coasters… and to use them for their intended purpose rather than as a toy for the dog. Who knew getting coasters could make you feel so grown up?
As I began scouring the internet for cute coasters, I realized something: coasters are either ugly or expensive. I couldn’t for the life of me find cute, cheap coasters. So I decided to make some. When I was done, I had super cute coasters that cost me approximately $1.00 each to make.
- square white tiles (you can get these at home depot)
- modge podge
- foam brush
- acrylic sealer
- felt circles
1) Cut the pictures into 4″ x 4″ squares so they will fit onto the square tiles.
2) Using the foam brush, coat the top of the tile with modge podge and place the picture on top, making sure to center it.
3) Cover the top of the picture with modge podge. Drag the brush in one direction (top to bottom, or left to right) so that all the brush strokes go the same direction. Make sure to spread the glue all the way to the edge of the tile so the the edge of the picture is sealed down with glue. Let the glue dry and then put on another coat of glue.
4) After the glue is completely dry, spray each tile with 2 coats of acrylic sealer (read directions for how long to wait between each coat).
5) After the sealer is dry, turn the tiles over and place 4 felt circles on the back, one in each corner.
That’s it! Now you have super cute, super cheap, personalized coasters!